Monday 8 April 2013

JUST BEING A KID


What an incredible weekend. It was still a little chilly on Saturday, but gloriously sunny, and Sunday was amazing. Our kids were outside in full force as we soaked up the UV. The sleds are put away for another winter and the trampoline is back in action. Because we don't have Cable or Satellite TV our kids spend a lot of time outside which is exactly the way we want it.

When I grew up, I spent every moment possible outside. I loved exploring, climbing trees, playing kick the can and capture the flag, road hockey and riding my bike. I was outside as soon as school was out, until the sun went down. And every summer, I only came in for lunch and supper. There were no video games, computers or endless TV channels. I was only allowed to watch Scooby Doo in the morning while I ate my cereal, and then a couple of shows at night, when it was dark. As kids we had to use our imagination.

Now there are so many distractions for kids. There is no incentive to go outside and play. I think it is so important for children to be able to burn off their energy and just be kids. To run around and make up cool games. My kids love to play in the woods. They make up games like Man Tracker and play hide and seek. They build little forts, or pitch a tent and imagine they are camping. And they love to build campfires and roast marshmallows. It keeps them healthy and happy to be out in nature( except for marshmallows, not a healthy snack but oh so delicious ).

Of course the weather doesn't always co operate, and we do have video games and Netflix. We aren't completely opposed to watching television and we all love movies and will watch them together. But we keep it in check. The last thing I would ever want is for my kids to grow up thinking reality TV is real.

And the best thing about just being a kid, is that they will hold on to those memories. They will always remember jumping on the trampoline together, or heading down to the lake on a hot summer day for a swim. Their bond that they make with each other as siblings, will follow them through out their whole lives when they can share these memories together.



 And when I watch them play those same games that I so enjoyed as a child it takes me back, and makes me feel like a kid again. When you woke up in your bed, that first Monday morning of summer vacation, and you lied there and thought, " I've got the whole summer!" Wow, what a feeling.




No comments:

Post a Comment