Thursday 9 May 2013

TREASURES IN THE GARDEN

One of the things I love about having my own garden is fresh produce and herbs. It is still early to enjoy too much from the outdoors and I've been a little late on the lettuce and spinach planting, but still the garden gives me gifts.


Tonight we are enjoying homemade chili made from the tomatoes from last season. We will top with fresh chives and cheese, and finish with a rhubarb crisp with vanilla ice cream.

When rhubarb season starts we are all about the crisp. Spring and fall is pretty much the only time we have dessert because in spring it means rhubarb crisp and rhubarb pie, and in the fall it's apple crisp and apple pie. And all these things require a really good vanilla ice cream. Oh, and I forgot about when the peaches and blueberries are ready. Then it's peach pie and blueberry pie. I guess we eat dessert then too! No wonder I can't lose any weight.

The garden is changing each and every day now and I marvel at the growth that occurs right before my eyes. Blossoms are out, the leaves on the trees are appearing and everything is green. Today we had a misty rain that left everything feeling fresh and vibrant. Droplets gathered on new leaves and the smell of the freshly cut grass permeated the humid air.

I wandered around the yard just breathing it all in. Sometimes life is stressful and pressures break in and take over the mind. A great cure for the overactive mind is a peaceful meander through the garden where you can appreciate that all things are simple and beautiful. It quiets the thoughts when you start to concentrate on the sound of the birds and the rustle of the wind through the trees. All else falls away and it brings you right back around to what's important. Rejuvenation is key, because life isn't always an easy ride. Sometimes things happen that are unexpected and can derail us from time to time. I feel very blessed to have an opportunity to step out of that zone and regroup amongst the flowers, trees and birds. What an amazing and beautiful world we are all a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment