Sunday 26 May 2013

TADPOLES, CAMPFIRES AND MUD PIES

When I think back to my childhood, I do it fondly. Growing up consisted of bikes, climbing trees, kick the can, losing my boots in the mud, tadpoles and street hockey. I was a tom boy in every way, shape and form. There were no girls in my neighbourhood when I was a kid so I spent my time with the boys and I don't regret it for one moment. I truly think it shaped who I am today. I love to go fast, fly in planes, ATV and get dirty. I prefer a baseball cap over a fancy hair style, and jeans instead of a skirt. And I really don't think this takes away from who I am as a Woman. There is nothing that bothers me more than the stereotypical thinking of what boys should be and girls should be. We can be all things no matter what sex we are.

The other day my daughter got an old ice cream bucket from the cupboard and was dipping it in to the pond and filling it with tadpoles. We watched them swim around and looked at how they were developing. We talked about what they eat, how they form and when they become frogs. She then proceeded to move on to making mud pies. As she was doing this she looked up and asked me something. She asked if it was alright that she likes playing with mud even though she is a girl. And this is where the stereotyping comes in. Girls are supposed to play with dolls, and boys are encouraged to be rough and tumble. Its the age old, pink for girls, blue for boys. And this is so wrong.

I took the opportunity to tell her that it's ok to like what you like, whether you are female or male. It doesn't make us different or wrong. We are who we are and we should never try to conform or fit a mold because society tells us so.

Being a firm believer in equality I hope to bring up my children in a manner that respects everyone, no matter where they are from, where they grew up, who they love or what they love to do. We all have an equal right and an equal opportunity to have a place on this planet, and a mutual respect for each others beliefs and religions.

That's what I love about our country Canada. The freedom and right to be and do what we want to do. We still have a ways to go, and we can always improve, grow and change, but so far, I'm pretty darn happy I call this place home.


No comments:

Post a Comment