Friday 31 January 2014

ENJOYING WINTER MOMENTS

Well we are coming up on the end of January and I can't believe how fast time is flying by. The fact that this winter has been a dream come true for me in the sense that it is snowing so much probably has a lot to do with it. I don't know why so many people feel the need to rush in to spring. Winter has so much beauty. And believe me, I personally am in no big hurry to move life along so quickly. I want to savor every moment in every season. Spring will be here soon enough and then we will be busy with gardening and mowing and all the busyness that spring time brings. Then we will long for the slower pace of those winter days, when all there was to do was go for a walk through the woods on a snowy afternoon where the silence of the powdery white snow brings a hush over everything. There is no quiet like that of the forest on a snowy day. I often stand still and listen, until I can hear the sound of the flakes falling to the ground. What immense peace these moments bring.
 
I always laugh to myself when people from other parts of the country feel sorry for us. They will be on the phone and say "Oh, it must be so awful, all that cold and snow." You can almost visualize the shudder as they can only imagine the immense suffering we must be enduring.The thing is, its not awful at all. It's amazing. Just as amazing as the first leaves in April or the smell of the grass after that first mow in May. I truly don't want to rush onward to any of that. It will come in due time. Life is so very short already. So winter, you can stay as long as you like, because I know before long it will be spring and then everyone will be hurrying and wishing for summer. Always rushing forward to the next thing, not taking the time to embrace the Now. Because if I have learned anything in this life, I've learned that there are no guarantees. There may not be a spring for me, or a next winter. There is only now, today. So what's the big hurry....let's hang around for awhile and turn our faces to the sky and feel the snow flakes melt on our eyelids. Or stand on the porch for a moment when its -15 and breathe in that crisp, clean cold air. You'll be glad you did.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment