Monday 13 January 2014

CAPE FORCHU

I love lighthouses. They just make me happy. I always imagine what it must have been like to live in one. The seclusion, the wild storms and heroic rescues. Having lived on a couple of isolated islands myself I have had a taste of the lifestyle and I love it to this day.

We have our own lighthouse here in Yarmouth that I absolutely adore. We go out there at all times of the year to enjoy the spectacular scenery. I've been there in the height of summer, as the heat scorches down on the rocks, to the peak of a raging storm where the waves came crashing over the rocks to soak me through and through. Even the drive out there is a treat. You get to pass through a fishing port where the seagulls are as abundant as the lobster boats, and the barrels, ropes and fish shacks line the road. You then pass by two wonderful beaches which are great spots to picnic in the summer and beyond these beaches lies the end of the road where the tall red and white striped Cape Forchu Lighthouse stands tall against a stark blue sky.



The other day we decided to go out to the Lighthouse for a walk. It was crisp, cold, sunny and windy. The sky was blue, with large clouds piling up on the horizon. There was still snow on the ground left over from the previous blizzard and my husband and I held hands as we gazed out over the sea. It wasn't a calm day by any means and the waves reached far up the rocks as the tumultous seas splashed to and fro. I could't imagine being out in a lobster boat fishing these waters. We roamed the pathways and rocks and relished in the beauty around us.

We are so lucky to live in a place that is still so authentic. You can see the history all around you no matter where you look. There are no Monster Homes invading this little town. We are still small and hang on to some good things from the past. Change comes slowly to Yarmouth, and truly that's the way I like it.
The place where I grew up has lost that. There are highways and freeways, townhouses and condo complexes. The farms that used to be in abundance have made way for subdivisions. Traffic jams are the norm and pollution clogs the valley on hot summer days. Though still a beautiful place it is definetly not for us. We like country, we like quiet and above all we love nature. The raging sea or a calm clear day, the beauty that lies untouched by the hands of man is where I want to spend my time. It's how I feel when I walk in my woods and its how I feel when I roam the beaches that don't have a row of houses crowding the surfside. I don't want to look out over the waters and see sky scrapers and bridges in the distance. I want to see the open ocean and the glint of the sun reflecting off the windows of a fishing boat on the horizon. I want to walk a beach that hasn't been manicured, with the logs placed in position, crowded with people during the summer. I want natural. People often ask me, why Yarmouth. My answer, because Yarmouth is what Yarmouth was. An authentic fishing village perched on the edge of a magnificent province. It is a place filled with friendly people and dotted with communities that haven't changed much through the generations. I feel a part of history here and I'm thankful everday that my journey through life has brought me to this place. I'm also really thankful for my crazy, wandering personality that has given me the courage to try new things and places. I could never have been happy staying in one location my whole life. I'm much too restless for that and my soul longs for new things. Blessing and sometimes curse, it's what makes me who I am. And I'm truly blessed to have as a partner a free spirit who remains my most steadfast and willing adventure seeker. We are truly a match made in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment