Wednesday 5 February 2014

MY KEYS TO HAPPINESS


Well it's been a busy week around here and I finally have a moment to settle down and take a deep breath. We had a wonderful weekend that passed by much too quickly. We did some yard clean up, took down some more trees for firewood, and did some burning of the tree debris. The temperature was quite mild and we were able to sit around the fire, which is something we haven't done in awhile. Hubby built me a couple quick benches out of some of the trees we took down, and I must say, they turned out lovely.

 We also went on a lovely drive and got out for a much needed walk.By Sunday, almost all the snow had melted. Not the case now though, as another snow storm is giving me my much loved white stuff.



It's all the little things in my life that bring me so much joy.A hand made wooden bench to sit on in front of a cheery, hot fire as the old howl hoots behind me in a tree. Or walking down a path next to the ocean while my loved ones walk ahead hand in hand. I feel so lucky to be able to witness the love that flows between father and daughter. There are so many things to be thankful for in life. And they don't have to be big things. Really they aren't things at all, but moments in time. I feel our journey in life is compiled of hundreds upon hundreds of moments like these. We can choose to revel in them for all their worth, or fill up our lives with misery and sadness, disappointment and regret. 

Last night my daughter had a class to attend as did my son. I was tired from work and all I really wanted to do was go home. But the long evening of shuttling kids back and forth stretched ahead as it does most evenings around here. My husband and I dropped off the kids and decided to go for a walk as the light was fading away. We bundled up in our puffy coats and toques and headed out on the trail. There was no one around as we walked in silence. The crescent moon was above us as the stars began twinkling above. The sound of our boots crunching through the frozen pockets of snow seemed so loud in comparison to the hush of the evening around us. Then suddenly a great big owl flew silently over us, as he had been sitting in a tree watching us pass. I was in absolute awe. Holding hands we walked back to the car, both silent in our thoughts. If I had gone home like I so deeply wanted to, I would have missed out on the little things that made my evening so special. If I had given in to my grumpy feelings of exhaustion I would have missed out on that moment. 

Sure, when I got home, there were dishes to do, laundry to fold and a late night, quick supper to prepare. But my heart was light and happy. Just that. Happy. I will leave you with a couple of my favorite quotes, because I don't think I can say it any better than my childhood hero, Winnie the Pooh.



I truly believe, these are words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment