Thursday 20 February 2014

MAPLE SYRUP

The sap is running here in Yarmouth County and we are going to take full advantage this year. On our property we have an abundance of Maple Trees and we are going to make Maple Syrup. Having never done it before we asked a lot of questions of our local backyard syrup making experts and today we tapped some of our trees for the very first time. I got so excited to see it actually working I was ready to tap every tree in sight, but my husband reined in my enthusiasm, reminding me that we need to boil it all down before we get the actual syrup and that this is the hardest part of the whole process. You need to boil off a lot of water to get the actual golden goodness. I can't help but be excited though. I love being able to harvest anything from nature and real maple syrup is a favorite of mine.

I'll never forget my first visit to Sugar Moon Farm in the hills outside of Truro Nova Scotia. I was enthralled with the old fashioned way they made their Maple Syrup. The kids had a ball making Maple Popsicle s in the snow and the quaint log restaurant with the fire roaring merrily made the snowy spring day magical. Ever since my visit there I've wanted to make our own, so today is very exciting for me.

Living in the country is the greatest gift. Being out in the sunshine today with my husband tapping trees as the dog frolicked in the snow warms my heart. The birds were bursting with song and the robins were busy rooting through exposed ground where the snow is slowly disappearing. Spring is on the way. The signs are everywhere. We only need to look around us to see them. It truly is a great day to be alive.




No comments:

Post a Comment