Saturday 28 December 2013

HERE COMES THE NEW YEAR

Once again we are entering that time of year when we make our New Years Resolutions. Lose weight and excercise more are probably at the top of a lot of our lists. Of course I would love to be a little trimmer around the mid section, and I have already begun to excercise more than I have been in the past, but my resolutions are a little deeper and personal.

This year  I want to take care of my mind and my inner body. I want to concentrate on the things that make me happy and feed my soul. I am going to take more time to reflect on the things that bring joy to my life and explore why these things make me happy. I want to seek out and make any changes I can bring to my life that encourage more personal growth and satisfaction. I am going to do things that make me happy and try to weed out anything that doesn't. I want to work at resolving issues that have brought me distress, unhappiness and conflict and work towards becoming a healthier me, not only outside but more so from within.

Another thing I'm going to work at this coming year is alleviating myself of conflict that I have been carrying. I had some really hurt feelings this past year and after much reflection and inner searching I have come to the conclusion that it is easier said than done to forgive and forget. I think the forgiveness part is much easier than the forgetting. I was told once that if you can't forgive and forget the transgressions of the past your life is hampered and you become stuck in a rut and you can't find happiness. I actually don't completely agree with the analogy. I think we learn from the past to become more self protective. We also learn that when hurt by certain individuals we have to protect ourselves in the future. Much like a deep wound in the flesh. It will heal, but it also leaves a scar. And that scar constantly serves as a reminder to not do again, what caused the scar in the first place. So going forward I will be wary of things that have given me the invisible scars and protect myself so that it doesn't happen again. I'm sure there are so many of you out there that know exactly what I'm talking about. We can forgive and move on, but I don't agree that forgetting is always part of the healing. That's why we have history. For example, if we choose to forget about the attrocities that happened to the Jewish people in WWll, we would be committing a diservice to those that died. We can forgive, but we must never forget.

That said, I'm looking forward to the coming year and excited to embark on my inner journey.  I am entering it with my best friend and husband at my side, whom I grow closer to with each passing moment and my children who bring me joy and happiness.

Happy New Year everyone and here's to hoping you all find our own inner peace and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment