Friday 6 September 2013

TOUGH DECISIONS

Well this has been an eventful week. From back to school, to school supply shopping to job interviews ( yes I said job interview ) and all the other activities that start when school begins, like music and ballet. But today is Friday, and when supper time rolls around and everyone is home, we can all take a breath.

So I have had to make a very difficult and heart wrenching decision. I had to decide whether or not to return to work. As you can tell by my posts, I love being a stay at home Mom. It is every thing I wanted and more. I love being home with my kids and being there when the school bus rolls up. I love afternoon snack and listening to all the events of their day. I love baking bread, tending the garden and the freedom it allows. But my bank account doesn't agree with my desires. We have tried to make it work, but with the immense costs of food, taxes and fuel here in Canada, we just aren't able to sustain my staying home. We had to miss major family events because we couldn't afford the price of airfare and with parents that are aging, we need to take in account that there needs to be some funds should we have to make an emergency trip or two. We have cut costs wherever we have been able to, but the numbers just don't add up. And because I don't believe in living in much debt, which has been encroaching upon us, my husband and I came to the decision that I did in fact need to return to the work force.

Now don't get all sad, because this isn't the horrible thing I'm making it out to be. If you have been reading for awhile you know that I always try to go for the things that bring me the most happiness. So I decided to begin looking to Health Care once again, as this is where my education and expertise lies. I wasn't interested in returning to the Laboratory anymore, I think my days of mucking about in blood, urine and stool are behind me, as fun as it was at the time. But because I have a lot of experience in the Clerical part of things, I decided to opt for that. And so the right job landed in front of me at the right time in our town, where there are no jobs to be had in the first place. So it felt like someone was telling me something. And so I applied and as of yesterday, I'm hired. I'm very pleased because it is daytime hours and part time, so I won't be away from home on a full time basis. The extra income will make all the difference, and I will be working in a long term care facility which is absolutely amazing, as I love to be with seniors and have a chance to talk to them, and visit and hear their stories which is greatly encouraged at this facility. I will be working in the same building as my husband, which means we get to drive in together, so it really is a win win situation.

Sometimes in life, we have to make the hard decisions. They aren't easy, and we hope when we make them, they are the right ones. I'm not one for looking back, only forward, so if things aren't going the way I want them, I change it up. So wish me luck everyone. Another transition is upon me. I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment